Many universities will be investing in shiny new equipment over the holiday break. It’s always a challenge making sure it stays as new and in good working order for successive users.
Here are some approaches used by our customer institutions that help ensure equipment is treated well and students remain able to produce the high quality results required.
- Routinely label all items in kits with unique barcodes for 100% accuracy when checking kits back in. This includes lenses, SD cards and cables etc. Not only does it support individual responsibility when borrowing and using items, it means there’s no human error that items missing from kits have been returned. This way, kits remain in good working order with all items present and correct
- For larger cameras and video kits checked out for use on location, staff make sure students have suitable transportation. It’s useful to include this in the equipment loan terms and conditions or as a distinct step in the booking process. This way it’s never missed out as a condition before issuing equipment to each student
- Students may be asked to state they have adequate insurance cover in case expensive items are lost or stolen while in their possession. Again, this may be included as a mandatory question in the online process of making a booking in the connect2 software
- At some institutions, an additional approval process is in place for some higher value equipment items – where the exact use and location are reviewed prior to a reservation being confirmed. Meanwhile, lower value items will have instant automated authorizations in place to support fast access to resources
- If equipment damage occurs due to usage other than initially indicated, the student can be held to account. Usage must remain transparent and accountable at all times. If a camera comes back with sand in the lens after what was described as an internal shoot, the student will need to make amends
Connect2 equipment checkout software offers a fully customizable booking process to accommodate various terms and conditions, as well as flexibility in the authorization process. It’s compatible with barcoding systems to help track and maintain inventory, and keeps students accountable when borrowing and returning expensive items.
Each of our customers has seen inventory management improve, students become more accountable, and resource utilization increase following the roll out of connect2 for equipment lending. We welcome your questions and are happy to advise you further on the above areas.
In the meantime, we wish you happy holidays and look forward to supporting your equipment lending program in the year ahead.